The mandate of VISTA is to advance visual science through research that spans computational and biological perspectives and results in real-world applications. To this end, the VISTA research grant program focuses on funding that promotes interdisciplinarity (i.e. a biological and computational focus) and an engagement with VISTA partners, both established and new.
Funding Available and Conditions of Funding
- Only VISTA core members may be Principal Investigators;
- The duration of each grant is a maximum of 2 years. Investigators may also apply for one year of funding with the potential to reapply for a second year;
- The funds are meant to enable faculty members to initiate research or creative projects that build on current research programs or that are innovative in their approach. They should enhance faculty members' ability to apply for funds from external sources for larger-scale initiatives;
- The program is not intended to provide continuing support for ongoing research/creative projects or to serve as a substitute for external funding. The intent of CFREF is not to replicate existing funding, but to provide an opportunity to secure new and/or greater sources of funding, or perhaps move in a different direction;
- The project must be in collaboration with an external partner (academic, public or private sector) and another VISTA Core/Associate member;
- All manuscripts arising from the projects must be submitted to Innovation York at email@example.com for Intellectual Property (IP) review prior to final publication;
- Successful applicants are encouraged to work with Innovation York to draft and execute a collaboration agreement with the VISTA partner to ensure all parties agree on how intellectual property, publication, and confidentiality, etc. will be managed. Should you wish to put a collaboration agreement in place, please contact Yaser Kerachian, Commercialization Manager, VISTA who will liaise with the Innovation York Research Agreements team to support you.
- CFREF funding must be acknowledged in professional communications, publications, presentations and conference materials as follows: "This research was undertaken thanks in part to funding from the Canada First Research Excellence Fund."
A Notice of Intent must be submitted by June 15, 2018.
The deadline for the submission of full proposals is 5 pm (EST), August 1, 2018.
Please refer to the proposal guidelines for further details on submission requirements.
Please submit NOIs and proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org