VISTA Distinguished Visiting Scholar & Trainee Awards
|Value||Scholars: Up to $10,000 / visit||Students & Fellows: Up to $7,500 / visit|
|Application Procedures||See below|
|How to Apply||
*VISTA Associate Members are eligible to apply for travel awards pending funding availability.
Please note that conference travel is not an eligible expense under this travel award.
|For More Information||See below|
Vision: Science to Applications (VISTA) is a collaborative research program funded by the Canada First Research Excellence Fund (CFREF, 2016-2023) that builds on York’s world-class interdisciplinary research in biological and computer vision. VISTA spans five York faculties (Health, Engineering, Science, Arts Media Performance & Design; Liberal Arts & Professional Studies), five research centers (including the Centre for Vision Research), and over 50 partners in the international research community and non-academic sectors such as healthcare and industry.
The central scientific question that drives VISTA is ‘How can neural and/or machine systems be integrated to provide adaptive visual behavior in real-world conditions’. Answering this question will provide fundamental advances to vision science and exciting, widespread applications for visual health and technologies. Our overarching aim is to advance visual science through research that spans computational and biological perspectives and results in real-world applications.
VISTA Distinguished Visiting Scholar/Trainee funds will be awarded on a rolling basis based on the strength of the candidate, the strength of the proposed research, and fit with the goals of the VISTA program.
The VISTA Distinguished Visiting Scholar/Trainee program will provide travel support for high-caliber scholars/trainees doing research that is aligned with the VISTA program. The goal of the program is to foster interdisciplinary research in biological and computational vision and to promote and expand long-term national and international collaborative relationships in vision science. Incoming scholars must be sponsored by a host at York University that is a VISTA Core or Associate Member. Outgoing scholars/trainees must be a VISTA Core or Associate Member working with a VISTA academic partner, or potential VISTA academic partner on research that is aligned with the VISTA mandate.
VISTA will support travel costs for visiting scholars, students and fellows to/from eligible VISTA-affiliated academic institutions. Eligible institutions include current VISTA partners as well as (non-partnered) academic institutions with strong collaborations in vision science. The travel award is also open to Trainees applying for summer school programs in vision science.
Funding is available for a visit of two weeks to 6 months in duration with funding prorated to the duration of the visit. Subsequent visits at least 12 months apart will require a new application to the program. Multiple visits within a 12 month period must be specified in advance and are restricted to the funding limits allotted for a single award. When multiple visits are made within a single award, travel support is limited to one return trip. The selection process and post-award administration are carried out by the VISTA Partnerships Committee and the VISTA Administrative Staff with oversight from the VISTA Leadership Committee and Board of Directors. Applicants should submit their application to email@example.com.
Visiting Scholar: Incoming applicants must hold a Faculty position at a VISTA-partnered academic institution, or at a non-partnered academic institution with strong collaborations in vision science. Staff scientists/research associates may be considered. Outgoing York applicants must hold a Faculty position and be a Core/Associate Member of VISTA. The applicant must be conducting work in an area of research that aligns with VISTA and be visiting a VISTA-partnered academic institution or an academic institution with strong collaborations in vision science.
Visiting Fellow: Incoming applicants must hold a doctoral degree, and must be employed as a Postdoctoral Fellow under a supervisor that is a Faculty member at an eligible institution. Eligible institutions include VISTA-partnered academic institutions or a non-partnered academic institution with strong collaborations in vision science. Outgoing postdoctoral applicants from York University must be supervised by a VISTA Core/Associate member. The applicant must be conducting work in an area of research that aligns with VISTA and be visiting a VISTA-partnered academic institution or an academic institution with strong collaborations in vision science.
Visiting Student: The applicant must be a graduate student at the Masters or Doctoral level. Outgoing students from York University must be supervised by a VISTA Core/Associate member, be conducting work in an area of research that aligns with VISTA, and be visiting a VISTA-partnered academic institution or a non-partnered academic institution with strong collaborations in vision science. Incoming students must be supervised by a Faculty member at a VISTA-partnered academic institution, or at a non-partnered academic institution with strong collaborations in vision science. The student must be conducting work in an area of research that aligns with VISTA and be visiting a VISTA-partnered academic institution or an academic institution with strong collaborations in vision science.
- Travel and accommodations for visiting researchers, including internet costs as provided through accommodation plan;
- Air travel, claimed at the lowest rate available and not to exceed full economy fare;
- Travel cancellation insurance and seat reservation charges;
- Travel health insurance for faculty and any members of the research team who do not receive any such benefits from their institution and/or other sources. UHIP at York University is $51 per month and is an eligible expense;
- Safety-related expenses for field work, such as protective gear, immunizations, etc.;
- Commuting costs of faculty and members of the research team between their residence and place of employment, or between two places of employment;
- Passport and immigration fees;
- Costs associated with thesis examination and defence, including external examiner costs; and
- Reimbursement for airfare purchased using personal frequent flyer points programs;
- Supplementary fees required as a visitor to York University (approximately $253 per term)
- Note that non-domestic student visitors to York University are subject to the following approximate fees that are not eligible under the VISTA program, and therefore must be covered by the host or visitor. These fees are described more clearly in the IVRT program link and include:
- Visa application fees for host: $230
- Visa application fees for visitor: $150
- Supplementary fees to York University: $253 per academic term
- York International administrative fees: $300