The VISTA Training Scholarship will provide financial support to high-calibre scholars doing research that is aligned with the VISTA program under the supervision of a VISTA Core or Associate Member. This support provides funds in addition to standard York University support to attract and train leading vision researchers of tomorrow.
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Have applied, or be in the process of applying for full-time admission to an eligible graduate program at the doctoral level at York University. You must be registered as a new doctoral student in the program to hold the scholarship.
- Be supported by a VISTA Core or Associate Member who would become your supervisor. If your primary supervisor is an Associate Member, a Core Member must also be identified to co-supervise.
- Include a mandatory advisor to enhance interdisciplinary expertise for the proposed project.
- Conduct research in the vision sciences that is aligned with the VISTA program.
- If you currently hold or have held, a VISTA Masters award you must provide:
- 1. Proof of application this school year and
- 2. Evidence of application for external funding.
- Note: Total funding cannot exceed 4 years so these continuing awards are for 2 additional years only.
PROGRAM OF STUDY ELIGIBILITY
VISTA Core and Associate Members will generally have an appointment in one or more of the following graduate programs:
- Kinesiology & Health Science
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Physics & Astronomy
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Science & Technology Studies
- Digital Media
- Visual Arts
Domestic and International: $10,000/year for up to 48 months including any previous VISTA Master's award.
Exceptional candidates may be considered throughout the year on a case by case basis.
Expectations of successful applicants
- Meet annually to discuss progress with your VISTA committee
- Submit an annual progress report
- Present progress annually at the VISTA research retreat
- Apply for external funding (e.g. CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC, OGS)
How To Apply
- Have applied or been accepted to a full-time program in an eligible department.
- Identify and confirm a VISTA Core or Associate Member supervisor and a co-supervisor. If the primary supervisor is an Associate Member, a Core Member must also be identified to co-supervise.
- Email the following documents and completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Two recommendation letters
- Application form
- One-page summary of proposed research
- Voluntary self-identification survey
- Masters transcripts (electronic copies acceptable)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Referee Form
- Use the application checklist to ensure your package is complete
Primary supervisors may request an out-of-cycle application for outstanding candidates in exceptional cases. A request to apply out of cycle must be submitted by the primary supervisor to the Training Committee by sending an email to email@example.com.
If an out of cycle application is approved, primary supervisors must submit a letter of support as a supplement to the candidate’s application package.
More information on Eligibility & Criteria.
Early application deadline: Friday, Feb 5th, 2021
Regular application deadline: Friday, April 16th, 2021
Exceptional candidates may be considered throughout the year on a case by case basis. Additional criteria apply.
Applications must be submitted by the deadline to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Results deadline: Results can be expected to be communicated by March 10th for the early deadline and May 8th for the late deadline.
Acceptance and declines of offers: Applicants will have 21 days from the date of each offer of the award to accept or decline. Replies can be sent to email@example.com. The status of offers not accepted or declined within the 21 days will automatically be considered Declined.