To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Have applied, or be in the process of applying for full-time admission to an eligible graduate program at the doctoral level at York University. You must be registered as a new doctoral student in the program to hold the scholarship.
- Be supported by a VISTA Core or Associate Member who would become your supervisor. If your primary supervisor is an Associate Member, a Core Member must also be identified to co-supervise.
- Include a mandatory advisor to enhance interdisciplinary expertise for the proposed project.
- Conduct research in the vision sciences that is aligned with the VISTA program.
- If you currently hold, or have held, a VISTA Masters award you must provide:
- 1. proof of application this school year and
- 2. Evidence of application for external funding.
- Note: Total funding cannot exceed 4 years so these continuing awards are for 2 additional years only.
PROGRAM OF STUDY ELIGIBILITY
VISTA Core and Associate Members will generally have an appointment in one or more of the following graduate programs:
- Kinesiology & Health Science
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Physics & Astronomy
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Science & Technology Studies
- Digital Media
- Visual Arts
How To Apply
- Have applied or been accepted to a full time program in an eligible department.
- Identify and confirm a VISTA Core or Associate Member supervisor and a co-supervisor. If the primary supervisor is an Associate Member, a Core Member must also be identified to co-supervise.
- Email the following documents and completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Two recommendation letters
- Application form
- One-page summary of proposed research
- Voluntary self-identification survey
- Masters transcripts (electronic copies acceptable)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Referee Form
- Use the application checklist to ensure your package is complete
Primary supervisors may request an out-of-cycle application for outstanding candidates in exceptional cases. A request to apply out of cycle must be submitted by the primary supervisor to the Training Committee by sending an email to email@example.com.
If an out of cycle application is approved, primary supervisors must submit a letter of support as a supplement to the candidate’s application package.
More information on Eligibility & Criteria.
Early application deadline: February 7th
Late application deadline: March 31st
Exceptional candidates may be considered throughout the year on a case by case basis. Additional criteria apply.
Applications must be submitted by the deadline to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Results deadline: Results can be expected to be communicated by March 10th for the early deadline and May 8th for the late deadline.
Acceptance and declines of offers: Applicants will have 21 days from the date of each offer of award to accept or decline. Replies can be sent to email@example.com. The status of offers not accepted or declined within the 21 days will automatically be considered Declined.