VISTA will support interdisciplinary training programs across its core fields and will support training opportunities with partners in industry and public service that will enhance the postdoctoral experience. Funding is available for up to two years, with the possibility of a one year extension if external funding is acquired. The selection process and post-award administration are carried out by the VISTA Training Committee and the VISTA Administrative Staff in collaboration with the Faculty of Graduate Studies at York University. Following review of the eligibility criteria, and confirmation of a VISTA core member supervisor, applicants should submit their application to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline.
Fellowships will be awarded competitively based on the strength of the candidate, the strength of the research proposal, and fit with the goals of the VISTA program. Distinguished Fellowships will be awarded competitively to the very best candidates, (nationally or internationally), provided they have met the additional standards for excellence expected of the program.
The VISTA Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship
The VISTA Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship will provide financial support to the highest calibre applicants. These may be awarded to individuals with PhDs from other national or international institutions, doing postdoctoral research that is aligned with the VISTA program under the supervision of a VISTA core member. Evidence of excellence in their field may include publications in high impact venues, best paper awards, or other measures of recognition and achievement.
Applicants to the Distinguished award are required to include a letter of support from the Proposed Supervisor in their application (5 pages maximum). Supervisors must:
- Describe the significance of the applicant’s research contributions and proposed research as it pertains to the VISTA mandate.
- Describe the fit between the research interests/background of the supervisor and the applicant, and the anticipated mutual benefits.
- Provide specifics about how the proposed research complements the supervisor’s ongoing projects or new research directions in the context of VISTA.
- Describe the supervisor’s commitment to the applicant’s professional leadership development, clearly indicating the resources and/or mentoring activities that they will provide to support career development.
- Consider the level of excellence similar to what is expected of other highly competitive programs (e.g. Banting PDF) and the applicant should demonstrate evidence of such excellence in their academic CV.
HOW TO APPLY
All applicants must:
- Identify and confirm a VISTA Core Member as your supervisor. VISTA Associate Members are eligible as co-supervisors with a Core Member.
- Email the following completed forms and documents to email@example.com:
- Application form.
- One-page summary of proposed research.
- Voluntary self-identification survey.
- Postdoctoral Supervisor Form.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Two Letters of Reference.
- Note that letters should be sent directly from Referees to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A letter of support provided by the proposed/current supervisor.
- Use the application checklist to ensure your package is complete.
Application deadline: April 17th, 2020. Applications must be submitted by the deadline to email@example.com.
Acceptance and declines of offers: Applicants will have 21 days from the date of each offer of award to accept or decline. Replies can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The status of offers not accepted or declined within the 21 days will automatically be considered Declined.