Up to $50,000 to be matched by other sources (matching funds should be at least half (50%) the VISTA funding request/award). In exceptional cases, and upon availability of funding at the end of the year, requests for up to $100,000 will be considered.
Average funding available per year
Core and Associate VISTA members
6 to 12 months to be extended to maximum of 18 months
Use of funds
To develop the prototype (hardware or software) of a product where the proof of concept has already been done. The fund can be paid as salary, material or fee for service.
- The technology must be disclosed to Innovation York @VISTA.
- IP agreement with York University must be signed.
Please submit a request for funds that includes the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Title of the proposal
- Description of the proposed project
- Background invention, the state-of-the-art, and value proposition of your technology (200 words)
- Work plan including technical objectives and technical risks (250 words)
- Budget and source of the matching fund (all expenditures must be CFREF eligible)
- Relevance to VISTA (50 words)
- Description of the technology transfer plan
- Market overview, the opportunity, the advantage of the proposed product or technology, and the competition (250 words)
- Commercialization strategy and proposed technology transfer activities (250 words)
Requests can be submitted on a rolling basis. Requests will be reviewed by the Associate Director, VISTA, the Associate Director, Commercialization & Industry Engagement and one member of the Commercialization Advisory Committee based on the following criteria (a) scientific/engineering merit of the project (25 points) (b) commercial potential of the technology (25 points), (c) project plan, milestones and the budget (25 points), (d) future plan for commercialization (15 points) (e) relevance to VISTA mandate and the interdisciplinarity of the project (10 points). Reviews will be completed within 10 business days of submission. Projects will be funded if they receive at least 75 points from two of the reviewers. If the requests exceed the available amount of funding, the score is used to rank the proposals.
Awardees must submit a final report no later than two months following the end of the project. The report must include the following:
- Overall outcome of the project (200 words)
- Milestones achieved; Milestones not achieved and the reasons
- Use of fund
- Next steps (100 words)